Cipriani set for new Jonno ko


DANNY CIPRIANI will today face more England misery after being left out in the cold by Martin Johnson AGAIN.

The Wasps golden boy has been dumped into the Saxons squad for the Six Nations after failing to convince boss Jonno he deserves a recall.

Cip, 22, has struggled since returning from a broken fibula in October.

After a poor showing against Harlequins last month he was shunted from fly-half to full-back for the clash against Newcastle - but he has failed to impress.

The England boss names his 32-man Elite Player Squad at Twickenham today. A source close to Jonno said: "It looks as though Danny is out.

"He is still on the radar but he has not done enough to warrant a return just yet.

"He has just come back from injury so he's not played regularly enough. There are a few players ahead of him."

Cipriani was hailed as the saviour of English rugby with his stunning display against Ireland two years ago but he has failed to recapture that form and last played for the Red Rose in November 2008.

Questions over his lifestyle away from rugby have followed Cip around, with injury problems also halting his progress. He managed to return for England following a gruesome fracture and dislocation of his ankle in May 2008.

But after not playing a single minute under Johnson last year, he has slipped way down the pecking order at fly-half, behind Jonny Wilkinson and Toby Flood.

Cipriani admitted: "I can understand if I am not in the England team as I am not sure if I've had enough game time. I've not sat down with Jonno, there have been no clear-the-air talks."

Johnson will name a crop of new young stars today with Northampton's Ben Foden, Chris Ashton, Shane Geraghty and Courtney Lawes in contention along with Leicester prop Dan Cole.

0 comments:

Post a Comment